Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Word About My Piano Teacher

I wanted to take a moment to talk about my piano teacher of fourteen years.  No, I'm not going to tell you her name.  That could give me away!  Anyway, I don't want it to seem like I am unhappy with how she taught me or anything like that.  She is one of the best piano teachers around.  It has been about seventeen years, I think, since I last took a lesson from her.  She taught the Suzuki Method, yes, and it is for sure that is what I am railing against; but she did do me a lot of good over my many years of taking lessons with her.  She did depart from the Suzuki books after book three and she did attempt to help me understand some of the music theory behind what I was learning.  Alas, I still primarily learned Suzuki style by listening and copying on the keyboard.  She would often record a section of music on an endless cassette and I would use it to help me commit a section of music to memory each week.

Anyway, I just wanted to jot a quick, positive note about her to assure you that I am not disappointed with her teaching.  Soon, I will write more in detail why I am so anti-Suzuki and why I have finally determined that I must do something about my shortcomings!

No comments:

Post a Comment